Interval Memes

For a wobbly-relative-pitch person like myself, here are a few shorthand tricks I use for remembering these (please contribute your own, if you are so moved):

Minor second: "Jaws"; "I Would Die 4 U" (I would die 4...), in reverse, "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" (I am six-teen), "Fur Elise"

Second: "Happy Birthday," "The Man I Love" (Some-day he'll come...), the opening notes of "Rhapsody in Blue"

Minor third: "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (She's not...), "The Man I Love" (Some-day he'll come a-long)

Fourth: Wedding march, "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," "I've Never Been in Love Before" (I've nev-er been...)

Flat fifth (tritone): "Maria" (Ma-ri...); in reverse, "Heart-Shaped Box" (I got a new complaint), "YYZ"

Fifth: "Chim Chim Cheree" (Chim chim-in-y), "Moon River" (Moon riv...)

Minor/flat sixth: "The Entertainer"; (in reverse) "Love Story" (Where do I begin)

Sixth: "Take the A Train," "My Way" (And now...), Taps (first and third note)

Dominant seventh: "Somewhere" (There's a...)

Major seventh: "Take On Me"

Octave: "Johanna" (I feel...), "My Sharona," "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

Comments

Popular Posts