An Album I Can't Play

Been down with the flu since the reading of my Ed Wood musical last week, so I've missed another day of album replays (the other missed day was that of the reading itself, Jan. 10). Meantime, just wanted to wonder aloud about Beck's new album, Song Reader--and not for the reasons you might think. Lots has been written about this gambit, but I for one wholeheartedly embrace the idea of an all-sheet-music "album"; sheet music is how I first experienced most of the Great American Songbook, back in college with my library card and my trusty baritone uke (before I could afford to rent a piano).

Thing is, my sister ordered Song Reader as a gift for me for Christmas and they told her it would be delayed till Jan. 10 or so; now she writes to tell me that it's been delayed again, with a likely delivery "between 2/28 and 4/4." Is this collection really in such high demand that it's not available for three to four months after an order? I'm half-tempted to go rogue and learn the whole thing from other people's versions, but that would require time I don't have. Maybe this delayed gratification is part of the throwback experience intended.

In any case, I'm going to get some more sleep now, kick this flu, and get back to my life (and the replay project, natch).

Comments

Popular Posts