Music Diary, Vol. -37


For the rationale behind this mad effort, explanations here. The full series of Music Diary posts are here. The full playlist is above, also here.

Week of Apr. 24-30, 2023

LYRICS: Kate & Anna McGarrigle, "Heart Like a Wheel"
SONG: First heard this great chamber-pop Talking Heads cover by Kishi Bashi in the pre-show mix at LETTERS FROM MAX. I especially love the faintly husky timbre of his voice as it bounces around the taut strings. Just lovely.
ALBUM: Not sure how I stumbled on this beautiful, slightly unsettling folktronica record by Mid-Air Thief, but I’m glad I did. This is music you want to wrap around you like a woolen sweater…and then you notice the crazy patterns woven into it.

LYRICS: Joni Mitchell, "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow"
SONG: Some melodies have a shape I can somehow see as much as hear, and this galloping Sondre Lerche track is one: The verse doles out gravity-defying two-note intervals, and the manically tuneful chorus is a singalong sugar rush.
ALBUM: This is my favorite Eroica, what’s yours?

LYRICS: 100 gecs, "Dumbest Girl Alive"
SONG: This Harry Belafonte/Miriam Makeba duet in Xhosa, which opens their great 1965 LP, has some of the most gorgeously bittersweet major-minor harmonies I’ve ever heard. You can see the train they’re singing about, and feel the pain of parting.
ALBUM: Boygenius's recent release reminded to revisit another inspired supergroup record from just a few years ago, Bachelor's DOOMIN' SUN (the pairing of Jay Som and Palehound). This is classic rock to me.

LYRICS: Ella Fitzgerald (Cole Porter), "Love for Sale"
SONG: I think I’m attracted to Billy Joel deep cuts because the hits are so unavoidable and well worn. And I’ve always had a special soft spot for this NYLON CURTAIN closer, a wry bus-and-tunnel philistine’s lament about theatrical pretension.
ALBUM: I’d say the reason this remains Yes’s best record is a very simple one: It’s got the most cracking tunes, not only in the vocals but in the instrumental hooks as well, so that its signature prog busy-ness feels more like composing than noodling.

LYRICS: Billy Bragg, "Levi Stubbs' Tears"
SONG: Kostars, an acoustic side project of Luscious Jackson's Vivian Trimble and Jill Cunniff, yielded a lovely LP that's definitely worth checking out, but it's the closing track, this ear-tickling faux-bossa jam, that's a must listen.
ALBUM: This streaming version doesn't have exactly the same song order as the CD I bought from them in the subway 15 years ago, but this Hypnotic Brass Ensemble collection has most of the hits I used to love to hear underground and was glad to take home.

LYRICS: Ron Moody (Lionel Bart), "You've Got to Pick a Pocket or Two"
SONG: Los Lobos' "mariachi" record, 1988's LA PISTOLA Y EL CORAZON, is a must for any collection, but to me its highest point is the slamming second track, a restless huapango from the state of Guerrero.
ALBUM: When Afro-Cuban sounds ricocheted back and met the unique glow of the West African electric guitar, the results could be as glorious as this essential Orchestra Baobab collection.

LYRICS: Laura Nyro, "And When I Die"
SONG: I think most Violent Femmes fans hear this track as pure hillbilly gospel kitsch, and fair enough—it is definitely that. For my money it’s also a bop, and no less a put-on than any of the psychodrama on the first record. I sing it loud and proud.
ALBUM: I came for the Madison Cunningham appearance and stayed for the heart-lifting chamber-folk sound of this gorgeous Porter’s Gate collection.

Comments

Popular Posts